ASSEMBLY: HOW TO PUT YOUR FLUTE TOGETHER
- Hold the body of the flute where there are no keys and gently twist the head joint into place.
- Line up the tone hole in the head joint with the keys on the body.
- Gently twist the foot joint into place. The keys on the body should line up with the rod on the foot joint.
- The sections of the flute are meant to fit together without using any grease. If you have difficulty fitting the sections together, clean them.
WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED PLAYING
- Swab your flute every time you finish playing. Take your flute apart.
- Thread a small piece of lint-free cloth (men’s handkerchief works great) through the slot in the cleaning rod. Be sure to tuck the end of the cleaning rod into the cloth so that as you push it through the instrument the metal rod does not scratch the flute. Leaving moisture in the flute will cause your pads to deteriorate.
- Always keep your flute in its case when you are not playing it. Never put anything into your case that it was not designed to hold because the pressure from papers or music can bend the rods and keys.
- Do not polish the keys. Use a soft cloth to wipe off moisture and finger marks after playing. Never use silver polish or any other cleaner on your flute.
- To clean your flute use “saliva” or rubbing alcohol on your cloth. To keep pads clean, don’t eat candy or chew gum before playing and never while playing.
- Do not let anyone else play your instrument. The flute is a delicate instrument, which must be handled carefully. If you must set it down during class, put it on a flat surface with the keys up. Never leave your flute on a music stand.
- Be careful when playing the flute not to bang or bump it, as it will dent easily and these dents are difficult and expensive to remove.
- DO NOT adjust or twist the head joint cork button. This button changes the total pitch of the instrument and has been adjusted at the factory. If you have any concerns, please contact your teacher.
- Flute, in good working order
- Cleaning rod & cloth (handkerchief is best).